Tuesday, October 27, 2015

9. Traslacion


On Sunday 25th of October I attended the opening Gala night for the movie "Traslacion : Ang Panglakad sa Alter ng Alanganin" (the march to the altar with uncertainty) directed by Will Fredo. This film is a Quezon City Film Festival documentary film entry.
All dressed up for the opening Gala night of Traslacion 
Posing with the director of Traslacion, Will Fredo

Traslacion is a documentary film which captures the hearts of couples faced with their biggest challenges, themselves and society. It features individual LGBT couples in the Philippines and focuses on how society perceives them, how they live their life, sex life and it tapped on the marriage equality rights in the Philippines. The director, Will Fredo, also emphasized on the religious aspect of homosexuality, since it is known that the church has a great influence on the states decisions.
Few of my fellow dancers who attended the Gala night posing
 with director Will Fredo (standing 4th from left)
and main actor during our scene, Sabastian Castro (standing 5th from left)

I had also played a small part in the documentary film, so I was technically part of the movie. I was part of a dance scene, along with other of my dance friends from CrewPex, BackFire and HEM Crew who performed a flash mob marriage proposal for a guy to guy proposal. If you're not familiar with a flash mob marriage proposal, google it. We performed in Quezon City Memorial Circle on what I recall as the "international walk-path" because it was surrounded by flags of different countries which had a large bell in the center representing peace. My dance scene was the very first scene of the film and I was most probably squirming, pointing at the screen and looking like a fool. There was at least five close up shots of myself dancing so I was quite proud of it. Thanks editor! The dancing shoot looked amazing, especially since there was a drone that took an aerial shot.

I am truly honoured to be part of a documentary that I feel I believe emphasized on a current issues that faces the entire world. There are so many opinions and perspectives on the LGBT community and having documentary films like this made, better educates the public about the real hardships and ostracizing.
Will Fredo introducing the film before the screening started

What I better understood?

Personally, I did not really understand the transgender community that well. After watching this, I can honestly say I have a better understanding and respect for the transgender community. I believe they are the most ostracized group of individuals in the LGBT community. The main protagonist is a transgender man who was born a woman but has undergone the procedure and hormones to become a man physically. The first time I saw him, I honestly thought he was just an average Joe that was born a guy.
Serenaded by the theme song of the movie with the artist that wrote and performed the song.
It will be heard at certain points in the film and at the end credits. 

Something Interesting I learned. 

Probably the most interesting thing I learned was that there is a LGBT Catholic Church in the Philippines. It looked like a small house that was converted into a church on the weekends. The priest was a openly homosexual individual and their vision was to worship God under the Catholic archdiocese without being ostracized for being a LGBT.

 Q&A session with  

Emotional Chord

The part that really struck a chord emotionally for me was during an interview between one the partners, Susan and Ien. Susan has three children from previous marriages with males and now lives with her partner Ien along with her kids. Towards the end of the documentary, Susan says "I wish for my children to have a normal life, unlike mine". Though as a mother, she was coming from a protective maternal instinct, this statement actually highlighted her non-acceptance of who she really is. She failed to realize that she is very much normal and her family is not conventional but they are very normal. That made me quite sad because its not her that wrong, its society that is wrong.

So I urge everyone to watch Traslacion and support local films. You will surely not be disappointed and perhaps will learn something new.
Little treat after the screening

Here is the remaining schedule for the film: 


Oct. 27, Tue, 3:30 pm, Galleria 7
Oct. 28, Wed, 9:40 pm, Gateway 2
Oct. 30, Fri, 1:30 pm, Trinoma 2
Oct. 31, Sat, 3:15 pm, Trinoma 1



Watch before the screening ends. :)



Due to popular demand, Aiza Seguerra & Liza Dino-Seguerra will be present for both Trinoma screenings. Aiza is a Filipino singer-song writer and a guitarist and Liza is a beauty titlist and multi-award wining actress in the Philippines. Both are one of the main subjects in the documentary film. 


No comments:

Post a Comment