Monday, October 19, 2015

6. 2015 SOAB Chants and Cheer Competition


On the 7th of October, 2015, the tri-semetral event of chants and cheer competition was held at the Asia Pacific College. This is a competition held during the "English Term" among the freshman batches in the same school. The School of Accountancy and Business (SOAB) inclusive of Tourism Management (TM), Marketing and Advertising (MA), Accounting (AC) and Business Management (BM) students took part. I am a Business Management major therefore my batch was BM 151.


The 2015 Chants and Cheer Competition among the SOAB schools was a stressful successful. I was one of the four voluntary leaders specifically in charge of the dancing and movements portion of the cheer. However at times , it coincidentally felt like I was the parent trying to discipline a disobedient child.

 My fellow course mates would just not participate and I was left  questioning myself whether I was in college or grade school and whether I was speaking to adults or a child. Nonetheless I was hopeful, that when push came to shove, we would deliver and at least give it the best we had.

The actual performance day had a ecstatic feeling resonating in the air from every batch present. I was nervous but excitedly waited in anticipation for when we would be called up to perform. When the first 2 Accounting classes performed, they were quite good and I started to question whether our cheer was good enough or long enough or if we could have practiced more. This did not help with my nerves at all.
Small group of BM 151. ©Benjamin Bajet
"BM 151 please prepare", announced the MC and we all sprung up to get into formation. I quickly tried to fire-up my class whilst simultaneously preparing the stage along with my fellow leaders. "Ready! Don't forget intimidation!" I quietly shouted.

We started our intimidating entrance, stumping and beating to the beat of "We Will Rock You" by Queen. Thinking back, the entire performance was almost a haze now, but I do remember screaming my lungs out to the state where my veins where protruding my neck.

There was one part in the cheer where my fellow course-mat, Leonard, forgot to shout "Now let me hear you say This Class is Bananas". Luckily, I picked up on it quickly and covered for him without raising too much suspicion.

My favorite part has to be when Enzo (Lawrence) smoothly broke off to perform his amazing break-dance stunts. I believe that portion of our cheer set us apart from the rest.

And surprisingly, we pulled it off and won 2nd runner-up. Not the champions, but still a better result than I was expecting.
The 2nd Runner-Up Trophy
©Peter Son
Needless to say, I am still very proud of my batch and now that if we all just put in that little more extra effort, then BM 151 would be set for greatness.

Speech Choir and PE Two bring it on!!


No comments:

Post a Comment